Recipe: Healthy Heart Tacos
I do love the odd taco shell here and there but the humble lettuce leaf is far more light and summer friendly. Plus, a cup of leafy greens (such as cos or romaine lettuce) a day, is enough to give you all the Vitamin K you need for healthy bones. Vitamin K is also good for the cardiovascular system. Definitely a win to me.
Healthy Heart Tacos = YUM!
- 2 cups of premium grass-fed beef mince or lean chicken breast
- 2 cups diced tofu or minced walnuts if you are vegetarian
- ¼ cup oil-free sun dried tomatoes, soaked until soft (about 30 minutes)
- 2 tablespoons raw soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 large roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup pineapple, diced
- ½ cup coriander (US cilantro), chopped
- ½ cup corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon of red onion, diced fine
- 1 fresh lime
- flaky sea salt and cracked black pepper to season
- Saute meat and add the seasoning
- If going for the vegetarian option, you can whizz walnuts in a food processor until crumbly and stir the seasoning through in a large mixing bowl
- Combine everything in a bowl
- Squeeze lime juice over the top and season with salt and pepper
Pile the meat and salsa together in a lettuce leaf and add a few strips of avocado and a spoonful of greek yoghurt. Then aim in the direction of your mouth and enjoy!
You may also like...
Pizza gets a healthy makeover
May 2020 by, Customer Care Team
Eating right for your heart needn’t mean giving up all your favourite foods. With a few simple tweaks,...Read More
A Sweet Treat You Can Feel Good About
May 2020 by, Xtend-Life Expert
Looking for a healthy snack option that also tastes delicious? These raspberry and coconut bliss balls are just...Read More
Recipe: Healthy Hot Cross Buns With Rolled Oats
April 2020 by, Xtend-Life Expert
Try this healthy and tasty version that's full of fiber from dried fruits, sweetened from honey and dark...Read More