Recipe: Healthy Hot Cross Buns With Rolled Oats
Try this healthy and tasty version that's full of fiber from dried fruits, sweetened from honey and dark chocolate and free from white flour and refined sugar. Enjoy!
Whole-meal flour is often tolerated by people who have digestive issues, as it has a slightly lower gluten content and higher amino acid profile than traditional wheat based flours. The beta-glucan fiber found in oats may aid the regulation of appetite and support healthy blood cholesterol. Olive oil aids healthy inflammation management and is kind to the arteries. Cinnamon has shown to support insulin efficiency, which may support healthy blood sugar levels.
Enjoy these healthy hot cross buns this Easter!
Healthy Hot Cross Buns With Rolled Oats
Refined Sugar free, Soy Free
- 220 g wholemeal flour
- 50 g rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- a pinch of salt
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) of milk or your choice of dairy, almond, rice, oat, soy
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 1 free range egg, lightly beaten
- 80 g dried cranberries, cherries or figs (or a combination)
- 50 g dark chocolate chips
- Mix the wholemeal flour, oats, cinnamon, yeast and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl.
- Warm the milk, vanilla bean paste and honey just a little until just slightly warm, then pour into the mixing bowl along with the egg and olive oil.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, then gently pour wet ingredients into the center, mix the dry and wet ingredients into a dough. Knead for about 6 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Add the dried fruits and chocolate and mix.
- Cover the bowl with a clean cloth or wrap and leave the dough to double in size in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- Tip the dough onto a working bench. Knead a little before shape it into 10 small buns.
- Preheat your oven to 160 C.
- Cover lightly and allow buns to rise for another 30 minutes until it doubles in size.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
- Allow to cool. Then make a cross on the top using melted dark chocolate with an icing pipe.
- Sprinkle with a few oat flakes before baking for a rustic effect or brush with egg mix before baking for a lovely glace finish.
- These last for 3-4 days in an airtight container. Makes a delicious power snack.